Friday, September 25, 2009

Vintage Trans Am - September 23, 2009

This week is sort of the oddball week as it finds itself squarely wedged between the Anniversary race and the first week of the Fall points series. As an incentive, Marc has set up a track that will be also used for the first two weeks of the points series, and it's a technical track with a little bit of everything thrown in. It's like the Suzuka of RC car track layouts with esses, hairpins, and we even have a sort of 130R...

This week's track layout
This week's track layout


This wound up being a mostly uneventful night - there were a couple new faces in VTA, Curt and Matt K. and they both made the A main. James TQed, then Barry, Tim, myself, Curt, Mark & Matt K. In the main, James started at the very back of the pack, Barry got off to a bit of a jump with Tim right on his bumper. Me, well, I got punted by the new guy Curt in turn 2, taking me from third to a distant seventh. Not being terribly happy about that, I set off to re-take as many positions as I could - it was an eight minute race after all. I clawed past Matt K. & past Curt, who had his luck go the other way when we got together a couple laps later in the short straight between 12 & 13, and finally past Mark. It would be the last pass I make in the race, but the last couple minutes were intense as I was right behind Tim in third, pushing him on even though I was a lap down. We had clear track and James and Barry were duking it out up front, slowing them up all the while we closed in on them. Tim actually had Barry passed for second with about 35 seconds to go, and I was on Barry's bumper (still a lap down, but I found out after the race Barry didn't realize I was a lap down), and Barry took the fight back to Tim, passing him in turn 11 on the final lap, and they ran side by side through the final turns with Barry pipping out Tim for second spot by just about a car length!

Mad props to one of the new guys, Jeff K, for taking the time to video tape and post the video of the main for us!

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showpost.php?p=2996484&postcount=1223

No comments:

Post a Comment