Thursday, September 10, 2009

Vintage Trans Am - September 2nd

It's the final week of the points series, and I'm sitting in third place, behind James (who has a perfect score) and Kevin, who I am 10 points behind. I had theorized that if I were to TQ and win the last two weeks of the series I could take over second place, and I managed to do that last week - just one more time for the glory! :)

The track layout is essentially the same as last week - though I think the track gnomes changed out some pieces which slightly altered the flow of the track. VTA is pretty full tonight as there are three guys in the class who weren't in it last week : James (doh!), Mike D (who raced well in VTA in the last points series) and Tim (who brought his fully loaded TC3 off the shelf to join VTA). The class is packed - Most likely because MSI is having a huge anniversary race on September 17th-20th and VTA is one of the classes being run at it. Throw myself, Kevin, Bob and Matt in there and we had a pretty decent class for the night.

First round of qualifying, I run decent, but not perfect, and wind up on a 23 lap run, which slots me into the fourth grid position for the second qualifier.

The second qualifier is quite a bit better and I find myself besting my own best time on this layout, hitting a 24/5:03, which puts me in third behind James and Mike, just ahead of Tim and Kevin. We're all about a lap down to James, and I did NOT TQ, and a victory definitely looks to be a slim chance - but anything can happen! I try to do some math, and think that I need to finish ahead of Kevin, but no lower than third to jump ahead in the points - remind me not to become a theoretical mathematician! I'll spoil the ending - Third still put me 5 points behind Kevin, second would have tied him and I would have lost on tie-breakers. Looking back at it, I think I may have been farther behind him than 10 points, but because I had one zero, it was tough to compare the two scores against each other.

In the main - I get tangled up early, and have my head out of it for a few laps, but get on my horse and try catching Tim, who just seems to be getting faster as the main goes on don't have too much luck, and wind up finishing in fourth in the race, and third in the points series overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment